Hey, how much water do you drink during your normal day? Or maybe, I should ask do you drink water at all? I mean do you drink plain real water – the water without colours, sweeteners, flavors. How weird it is, right?
“Of course, I drink water” – some would answer. “What a stupid question!!!!”
“Why are you asking this question? I drink water when I am thirsty”. Others would respond.
Well, the thing is I just watched a video about 30-day water challenge and it inspired me to think about water again. I do know that our bodies are composed of 95% water. I do know that water is good for me. But I also know that not many of us drink 64 oz or 8 glasses of plain, clean water every day.
While traveling we especially need to be vigilant about drinking water. In case you didn’t know, we can lose up to two liters of water on a 10-hour flight. That’s a lot! No doubt landing at the destination across the ocean we always feel tired and our mind is kind of wacky. Lack of water is a huge part of it. Ideally, we need to drink a glass of water every hour of flight. So, in ten hours – 10 glasses – nobody does that!
We always can try though!
When we are in the abnormal state of our life – transitioning to a new home, living in the hotel, routines are all messed up, meals are on the go or take out most of the days, the easiest and smallest thing we can do for our body to sustain health and vitality is to drink those 8 glasses of water. I understand it is an effort for many. It is still an effort for me too. So, what I can do to keep my promise to drink my holy water.
I am going to brainstorm here, and you can help me in your comments.
- I am going to have my water bottle filled up and ready for the day. I know I need to refill it to have my 64 oz, but I am starting from one bottle ready for me to consume.
- I might invest into a bigger bottle, so I do not think about refilling a smaller one.
- I keep my water close to me at all times, so I am reminded to drink water.
- Before I grab my telephone, I am going to drink some water. I think this is a good one, because I do remember to grab my phone often. I am not immune to FOMO (fear of missing out) syndrome.
- To inspire myself to drink water I might add a slice of lemon into the bottle. Umm – this could be difficult if I live in the hotel. Remember I am moving. Well, I can always look for a lemon slice in the cafeteria or restaurant.
- Some hotels provide water as a courtesy and appreciation to the guests. I am going to take advantage of it. Grab that plastic glass and fill it with the water. Or take that bottle and drink it. It is free after all. Say thank you to the hotel personnel and skip that cookie tray which might also be there for us – precious guests. The hotels do want you to come back, so mints and cookies are not such a rare offer any more. Skip it or not, but remember to drink your 64 oz of water a day.
- On the airplane, I can ask the flight attendant to bring me a bottle of water. Or better stand up and go to ask for some water. A walk along the aisle helps to reduce the swelling and stretch your stiff muscles during the flight.
- When I arrive to the airport, I will remember to think about getting a bottle of water and drink. Take it slowly. Enjoy the freshness and purity of it. You are dehydrated after a flight, so know to replenish your body with enough H2 O
- By this time, I start to remember that water is important for my well-being and have a glass of water in the morning as soon as I wake up. I like it to be of a room temperature. I feel it is easier for me to drink warmer water especially in the morning.
- I will remember to drink a glass of water before going to bed. Or better during dinner time. Waking up at night to rush to the bathroom is not to appealing. I’d rather drink water during dinner.
Well, these are my ideas how I can stick to my 64 oz of water a day. I think it is not that difficult after all. Eating fruit and vegetables can keep me hydrated too. So here it is. What ever you do, drink your water.
And remember, life is a journey of joy. Embrace it.